Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 17:16:27 +0100
Hi Richard,

Am Samstag, 12. Dezember 2015, 13:50:19 schrieb Richard Brown:
Upgrading from 13.1 to Leap is easy as long as you're on a x86_64
system. If you're on a 32-bit system, my advice is to either reinstall
(if your hardware supports 64-bits) or purchase hardware which does
support 64-bits and do a fresh install there

Sorry to say, but this is quite an arrogant answer. I will tell you why:

I'm maintaining packages and demo-CD for some medical software, which has some
interests in the developing countries around the world. It can be used by
single doctors, but as well in Hospitals.

Many of those guys are happy to have some hardware at all, no matter how old
it it, and it is most likely 32bit. And there is no point (-> money <-) in
walking around the corner to the next hardware store to buy an upgrade.

The 32-bit demo on 13.1 has by far the most downloads, the template on Studio
is IMHO more reliable than 13.2. Thats why I would like to transfer it to
Evergreen, and thats why I'm asking for a build target fo OBS.
Of course it is up to each maintainer to support this, but we have at least
the basis on OBS.

Giving away the 32bit market is not a bright idea at all, but a consequence of
the decision to reduce efforts on SUSE side and move everything to SLES basis.
I feel it will reduce the overall importance and acceptance of openSUSE. But
thats a different story.

Cheers
Axel