Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 13:50:19 +0100
On 12 December 2015 at 12:40, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 12/12/2015 12:08, Richard Brown a écrit :

- Evergreen 13.1 only has a planned support period of January 2016 to
November 2016.

(I agree with the rest of your mail)

may be our work could be to make shift to Leap easier. I mean better doc,
may be upgrade scripts (Wagon??).

Wagon was never supported for openSUSE and is no longer supported for
SLE. It is also irrelevant as this discussion includes additional
repositories, and wagon used to remove all repositories that weren't
part of the main distribution :)

the problem is not upgrade but problems coming during upgrades, so if we can
make this a bare minimum, we can go on.

for example, could we could collect the "zypper lr" of interested people,
eventually build a common VirtualBox test appliance...

and write accurate doc of how to go from one to the other?

Adding repositories to your machine makes it in many respects
'unsupported' and 'unsupportable' - it adds complexity, that
complexity makes it very hard to write accurate, meaningful
documentation, because you can very easily add stuff to your system
that would invalidate what is intended by the distribution

Also, when doing an upgrade, you might no longer need the repositories
you have added previously, because the new version (Leap) obviously
has newer stuff in it than 13.1.. so the idea of automatically
upgrading to repositories should not even be considered - Why
invalidate your system needlessly?

Therefore, the best we can do is give general advice, which is what we do

Upgrading from 13.1 to Leap is easy as long as you're on a x86_64
system. If you're on a 32-bit system, my advice is to either reinstall
(if your hardware supports 64-bits) or purchase hardware which does
support 64-bits and do a fresh install there

There's two perfectly supported upgrade methods 'Offline' and 'Online'

Offline
- Insert Leap 42.1 DVD
- Pick Upgrade
- Allow the upgrade to remove all the repositories
- Only add back the ones you are sure you need (the less, the better)
- Upgrade..done

Online (aka Zypper dup)
This is more complicated, and should only be done if you really need
to do the upgrade without turning off the machine
And is documented here - https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:System_upgrade

Really, we have valid, easy, supported upgrade mechanisms, people need
to use them and if they find things that don't work or they think they
can make better, they need to file bugs or send in pull requests so we
can make it better..pretty tired with hearing 'upgrades are hard'
without any real explanation of how we could make it
better..especially when I've seen many, many, many, maaaaany upgrades
to Leap now just work out fine