Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 12:08:42 +0100
-Hi Axel,

On 11 December 2015 at 20:07, Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx> wrote:

Thats why I would like to bring it into the project list.
How can we get this process started?
At least I would be happy to build against openSUSE:Evergreen for the repos
and packages I maintain.

Looking forward for your opinions

My opinion,

- Evergreen 13.1 only has a planned support period of January 2016 to
November 2016.
- Evergreen 13.1 is currently expected to be the last Evergreen
release as that usecase that was motivating the core Evergreen team
has been mostly addressed by openSUSE Leap
- Other repositories are, and should always be, considered 'secondary'
to the main distribution - There should be no expectation of support,
and they are always provided 'as is'..or perhaps more accurately, 'at
the whims of' our maintainers
- Maintaining additional repositories for old versions of the
distribution gets harder over time
- I think it's perfectly reasonable for maintainers to stop supporting
older versions of openSUSE in their repositories as soon as it falls
out of official support.

So putting my thoughts together, I personally feel it's unreasonable
to expect most of the openSUSE Project to support Evergreen at the
same level they do the official distributions.
I have no objection to anyone who chooses to support Evergreen in
their repository, but I understand anyone who chooses not to do so. I
think that's a natural outcome of the nature of the Evergreen project,
and given the Evergreen projects likely demise next year, I do not see
justification for the large amount of effort that would be required to
change that, both on the parts of the Evergreen team and all the
individual repository maintainers.

Regards,

Richard