[opensuse-project] openSUSE 13.1 - Preparation for Evergreen
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:07:46 +0100
Dear community members,

we have some 4 weeks to go until openSUSE 13.1 will run out of support.
Already now repositories start to disappear!

13.1 should go to Evergreen, and I feel it will be the most important release
ever in Evergreen: It will be the last stable 32bit openSUSE Version!

Dont get me wrong, TW is considered as stable, but there are reasons why one
running a 32bit environment will not switch to TW.....

13.1 as Evergreen will only be half way useable if only the Basis-Distribution
is maintained: Many software is in other repositories, which now start to
disappear.

In previous version (11.4) users have found worarounds (e.g. local copies with
rsync) to overcome this limitation. I dont feel this is the way to go, esp. if
you plan to keep some 13.1 Appliances alive in SUSE Studio.

The idea to have a build-target openSUSE:Evergreen in OBS, against which repos
can build, sounds more like a reliable answer to the problem.

This was discussed in the Evergreen-list, but the discussion came to a stop
w/o conclusion/agreement.

Thats why I would like to bring it into the project list.
How can we get this process started?
At least I would be happy to build against openSUSE:Evergreen for the repos
and packages I maintain.

Looking forward for your opinions
Axel