Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
Am 27.07.2015 um 20:24 schrieb Martin Schlander:
All good questions. How do you think it SHOULD be?

A few things are pretty clear.

1) The "service packs" will be mandatory. Otherwise you might end up with 3-4
different supported releases at any given time, which is just not going to
happen. There will probably be something like a 6 month time frame to upgrade
to the next "service pack".
Exactly like this.

2) It will never be possible to say exactly how long 42.1 is supported. That
depends entirely on the whims of SLE business managers. But I guess we can
... which depends on the Linux market.

rule out service packs coming more frequent than 12 month intervals. So all
you can say is something along the lines of "we expect 42.2 to be released
12-18 months later, and 42.1 will be supported until the release 42.2+6
months".
Fortunately openSUSE Leap is not the only one relying on predicatable
service package schedules, so SUSE is working on this atm.

3) It will never be possible to say exactly when the next major release will
be. That will also depend on the whims of SLE business managers. All you can
say is something along the lines of "42.x will be supported at least 3 years,
and at least 6 months (or something) after the release of 43).
I think the overlap between 42 and 43 should be longer than that, but I
would think it depends on quite some factors, i.e. the amount of
developers interested in maintenance (not by raising hands, but by
touching keyboards).

The final decision is something the maintenance team needs to have, but
I would think 42.X should be supported till 43's second release.

Of course you can add that the base system will not have major changes in the
major cycle, and thus installing the service packs should be pretty safe,
especially on servers, where the service packs probably won't change much at
all.

Hopefully that will turn out true ;)

Greetings, Stephan