Re: [opensuse-project] Leap: Graphic design
  • From: Home <anditosan1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:55:31 -0600

On July 27, 2015 at 4:36:07 PM, Jay
(mymailclone@xxxxxxxxxxx(mailto:mymailclone@xxxxxxxxxxx)) wrote:
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 13:58:14 schrieb PatrickD Garvey:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM, Jay wrote:
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 14:19:49 schrieb Greg Freemyer:
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 12:19 PM, Jay wrote:
In my experience it takes time to develop a good graphic design
(here: log-in screen / default wallpaper).

So just in case this has not been done already, briefing the designers
now
would not be wrong. There's enough information available now to give
them
an idea of what Leap is about.

That way they would have enough time to come up with a good draft.

And a better one if the first one goes up in flames. ;)

Rainer Fiebig

There is a graphic design team for openSUSE.

Let's hope they have subscribed to this list. ;)

I'm sorry, they have their own list:
http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-artwork/

Perhaps, it would be a good tactic to start a discussion with them by
subscribing and posting to their communications channel for a short
discussion of the Leap 42 decisions made thus far?

Good idea. I'll do that.

I took a look at that list before I posted my suggestion here.
The last post was as of Apr 9 2015. So I thought it might be dead.

And my suggestion was more meant as a reminder: "Guys, don't forget the
graphic design It will take some time to develop - if you want it to be good."

I was a bit surprised by Andres Betts' reaction because for me it was
a sure thing that the graphics-people would love to do some work for a
release with a name like "Leap 42.1".

If I were a graphic designer I would take it as an invitation! And not
as a troublesome burden.

But people are different, right?

Rainer Fiebig

I guess what bothers me about this discussion is that it is focused on small
communication that creates a ton of emails for people who may not be so
interested in reading the back and forth. So I ask that we please move on from
"Andy says this, I think that, I like what you said there but not over there,
etc etc."

The best people to contact here are probably those that have made a wallpaper
previously. Historically that has been Richard and Marcus. They have probably
placed more wallpapers on our distros than the rest of us at #artwork. That is
great experience and they might probably be willing to create a new wallpaper
for Leap. They also have the technical knowledge to add that to the sources
from which we build Leap.

Other good people to reach out to are Victor and Tigerfoot. They are awesome!

I generally do editing, so while I would not create the wallpaper I can offer
feedback and ideas inspired on a base design.

Also, it was mentioned on the communication before to have a good marketing
idea for Leap that could be translated into design. For example, when we have
created wallpapers for the distribution in the past, we have looked for ideas
in past designs, mottos, people, places, brand, etc. Out of which good artwork
has come out.

Do you have any subjects that designers could use to design a wallpaper for
Leap? If so, where do they come from? What is the reasoning for such theme? How
does the the subject advance the brand, marketing and the community?

Thank you,

Andy (anditosan)