Re: [opensuse-project] Leap: Graphic design
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 00:20 +0200
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 13:54:00 schrieb Andres Betts:
On July 27, 2015 at 12:18:26 PM, Jay (mymailclone@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 10:23:28 schrieb Andres Betts:
On July 27, 2015 at 10:18:54 AM, Jay (mymailclone@t-

online.de(mailto:mymailclone@xxxxxxxxxxx)) wrote:
In my experience it takes time to develop a good graphic design
(here: log-in screen / default wallpaper).

So just in case this has not been done already, briefing the designers
now
would not be wrong. There's enough information available now to give
them
an idea of what Leap is about.

That way they would have enough time to come up with a good draft.

And a better one if the first one goes up in flames. ;)

Rainer Fiebig

I wonder if this is really necessary. We have a few flavors of openSUSE
around already and changing the wallpaper is a good idea, however, I don’t
know that we I (just myself) could commit to changing it constantly. A
good
wallpaper takes time. I vote for just keeping the same wallpaper across or
choosing a different one that is already included with KDE or Gnome.

I personally think that only doing wallpapers is really not beneficial and
it is a weak effort that does not build a strong brand. By that I mean
that
the effort to change a wallpaper should generally be accompanied by other
brand elements that could show throughout the distribution, but we don’t
have the manpower or dev willingness to work on that.

Again, let’s probably keep the choices made for one distribution across
all
the others.

Andy (anditosan)

The more I think about it, the more I'm disappointed by your reaction.

In the real world ANY graphic designer or advertising agency would CRAVE
to get the contract! Because they'd immediately recognize the significance
of it.

To help you see it, too:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/opensuse-leap-42-is-a-new-version-that-will->
change-the-opensuse-project-486229.shtml

Think about it.

Rainer Fiebig

Rainer,
I understand your feelings for this product.

"Feelings" would be a bit too much! ;)

How about "controlled enthusiasm"? ;)

And why not?

I really like the concept, I think it's going to fill a significant gap in the
distro-world and might be sort of a game-changer.

And I'm also getting the impression that the project is moving in the right
direction. And that's positive. Yea, I like that.

All I am saying is that
probably I won’t be the one making a wallpaper graphic for Leap and backed
up my argument with my experience. That’s all.

That's good and understood.

It is good to know that in Open Source there are no “contracts” to seek
after and that a contributor can decide to either do or not do something.
We are not bound by corporate money or contracts. I have designed (along
with many others in the community) a few of the graphical aspects we use
today in the distribution. I have also seen it where others take the
position where they don’t find it feasible to help or like what is
produced. We all deal with that.

You're getting this completely wrong. What I tried to communicate is that the
graphic design for Leap is an attractive task and a real opportunity for
a creative mind to make his mark.

But you can't see it. And that's OK.

Please use this channel, not to vent your personal feelings,

I'm not "venting" anything here. ;)

but rather to
promote and ask about what can be done. If you are personally frustrated by
what you cannot change in others, then use this ML only to gather the
feedback that will advance your idea and not the feedback that won’t.

For heaven's sake! Don't worry - I'm really not frustrated because you have a
different opinion than me. I can handle that. Honestly!

But you're just kidding me, right? ;)

In my
case, I chose not to work on a wallpaper, therefore, skip me and focus on
those that do want to create a wallpaper.

Thank you for your advice - but I know what to do in a situation like this.
I've already skipped you.

I am not the only designer
around, I am sure. As pointed out by others, the artwork channel exists and
so does it’s mailing list. This request is better geared there.

I took a look at that list before I posted my suggestion here. The last
post there was as of Thu Apr 09 2015, so I thought it might be dead.

But I will post my suggestion there, too.

Rainer Fiebig