Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
  • From: PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:20:11 -0700
On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag, 27. Juli 2015, 20:32:10 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Mandag den 27. juli 2015 20:24:01 skrev Martin Schlander:
A few things are pretty clear.

1) The "service packs" will be mandatory. Otherwise you might end up with
3-4 different supported releases at any given time, which is just not
going
to happen. There will probably be something like a 6 month time frame to
upgrade to the next "service pack".

2) It will never be possible to say exactly how long 42.1 is supported.
That depends entirely on the whims of SLE business managers. But I guess
we can rule out service packs coming more frequent than 12 month
intervals. So all you can say is something along the lines of "we expect
42.2 to be released 12-18 months later, and 42.1 will be supported until
the release 42.2+6 months".

Of course if we could give people a 12 month time frame to upgrade
to/install the service pack, that would guarantee 42.1 a 2 year lifetime
minimum.

A bit more leeway would perhaps be OK. But a servicepack is a servicepack
and I think that most users would like to get the benefit of it and upgrade
soon anyway.

And we would still "only" have two stable releases to maintain at any given
time.

If manpower allows...

Which is precisely the problem with an indeterminate schedule such as
the SLE business managers seem to provide.