Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 18:22:53 +0200
Am Sonntag, 26. Juli 2015, 16:23:55 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Fredag den 24. juli 2015 23:11:36 skrev Richard Brown:
On 24 July 2015 at 23:05, nirsuse <nirsuse@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
just curious after leap m1 was released is there a decision about the
life cycle and the roadmap for the next releases (leap 4x.y) ?

But the very short version is

Leap releases will be aligned with SUSE Linux Enterprise versions

And as SUSE Linux Enterprise versions aren't announced years in
advance, we won't be announcing Leap versions with any guarantee too
far in advance

However, we should be able to share _PREDICTED_ schedules and such

If you want people to tour around the internet claming "long term support"
(even if most of the software changes at random intervals of roughly 12-18
months), you need at least to come up with a minimum lifetime for the 42-
series to have some credibility.

"At least 3 years" was thrown around many times. So I guess we can assume
42.x will be supported "at least until November 2018". Maybe it would be
possible to add an additional promise of support for 6 or 12 months after
the release of Leap 43 or similar, guaranteeing people some form of
reasonable timeframe to upgrade to 43.

I agree that we should commit to a minimum duration of support now.
Those interested in Leap deserve that information.

"At least 3 years" seems adequate to me at this stage. Definite announcement
perhaps at launch.

Anything less than 3 years can not be considered "long-term" anyway.

Rainer Fiebig