Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
  • From: PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 15:21:32 -0700
On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 1:40 PM, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just found this page that may be related to the subject:

https://www.suse.com/support/policy.html

in summary:

"SUSE provides thirteen year product lifecycle for most products in SUSE
Linux Enterprise 11 and SUSE Linux Enterprise 12."

I was still thinking the support was 7 years (and find this much!)

so if long term support for openSUSE is 3 or 5 years, it do not anymore
compete with SUSE one :-)

And https://www.SUSE.com/lifecycle/ on the SUSE Linux Enterprise
Desktop 12 row indicates "GENERAL SUPPORT ENDS" is TBD and "EXTENDED
SUPPORT ENDS" is TBD
While on the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 indicates "GENERAL
SUPPORT ENDS" is 31 Oct 2024 and "EXTENDED SUPPORT ENDS" is 31 Oct
2027.
Further, if one selects the "SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 SP1"
link, one is redirected to the "Overview | SUSE Desktop" page,
https://www.SUSE.com/products/desktop/
and if one selects the "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP1" link, one
is redirected to the "SUSE Linux Enterprise Server" page,
https://www.SUSE.com/products/server/

I believe this indicates that members of the openSUSE.org community
cannot adequately research the issue and derive an answer from readily
available public information about what sources will be added to the
Open Build Service in the future, what restrictions will be maintained
on those sources, and what the timing of that release will be.

If the openSUSE Board does not have anything they can publicly say
about that issue, I believe they need to work with SUSE LLC and
produce a public statement, if they are not already working on such a
statement.