Re: [opensuse-project] What about opensuse life cycle and roadmap?
On Sunday 26 July 2015 17.39:50 jdd wrote:
Le 26/07/2015 16:23, Martin Schlander a écrit :

"At least 3 years" was thrown around many times. So I guess we can assume
42.x
will be supported "at least until November 2018". Maybe it would be possible
to add an additional promise of support for 6 or 12 months after the release
of Leap 43 or similar, guaranteeing people some form of reasonable timeframe
to upgrade to 43.

I have no information more than anybody here, but read most of what was
said on the subject.

What I got as feeling is that the new system is a bit different from the
old one.

We will have in November 2015 leap 42.1, based on SUSEcore 12.2 (?)
then we will have some mandatory security updates as previously
In November 2016 (one year) we will get a service pack that is a bit
more than an update. it will give 42.1.2 (?), but it may give us some
newer product, at least minor versions (may be search to see how SUSE
manage service packs, I don't had yet the time to do it).
then again security updates only
then a new service pack... and so on until November 2018.

At that time, SUSE core will be upgraded to 13 (or 12.3??)

I'm pretty sure going from 42.1.3 to 42.2 will be very easy and very
well tested.

Right now 42 is only 1/3 SUSE, so how will openSUSE manage the other 2/3
is still unknown

The fact that SUSE hire a new distribution manager is probably a sign
than hard work is to be done soon :-)

jdd

42 In November will be 42.1 (SLE 12 + SP1) the decimal part will reflect the
level of service pack of SLE

43 will be based on SLE 13 in x years from now (normally between 3-4 years)

That's how it was explain by Richard, and understood by me :-)

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch

openSUSE Member & Board, fsfe fellowship
GPG KEY : D5C9B751C4653227
irc: tigerfoot