Re: [opensuse-project] Leap 42.1 - consistent naming
  • From: PatrickD Garvey <patrickdgarveyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2015 08:37:47 -0700
On Sat, Jul 25, 2015 at 11:51 PM, Dimstar / Dominique Leuenberger
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2015-07-25 at 15:55 -0700, PatrickD Garvey wrote:

Now help me understand why
download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1-Milestone1 (note the
lack
of a trailing /)
redirects to
download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1-Milestone1/ (with /)
but
download.opensuse.org/distribution/leap/42.1 (without)
doesn't.

42.1-Milesteon1 is an actual existing directory on the server - so the
web server can 'enter' the directory and your browser correctly
reflects this with the added /

42.1 OTOH is only a server based redirect (and does not exist as a
directory on the server). And the rule HAS to be to match 42.1$ ($
being 'end of line') as otherwise there would be strange redirects
happening for everything with 42.1 in it.

In essence: the structure on the server is setup for zypper / yast as
main consumers... and for those usecases it works. For a human, there
are some special cases to consider (like adding the / ).

Am i missing something about Linux directories that I didn't learn
from using UNIX (AIX)?

Not really - just, as noted above: only one is a directory on the
server, the other is a http server configured redirect (see for example
apache's mod_rewrite for an idea)

Cheers,
Dominique

Thank you, that answers my question completely, but it leads, of
course, to the final question, Since I don't have access to the server
nor the required knowledge on how to add the additional redirect, will
someone else take the initiative to add the redirect to the server? We
humans like easy paths to our desired results whenever a small effort
can compensate for multiple repetitions of human frailties.