Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:02:39 +0200
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015, 17:37:37 schrieb Jim Henderson:
On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 17:44:36 +0200, jdd wrote:
"The Best of Both Worlds", which isn't just the title of my favourite
Star Trek TNG double-bill, but a good descriptor of what Leap brings to
the table that no other distribution has

but what worlds? windows and apple?

"With goals of being up-to-date and reliable, openSUSE Leap 42.1 brings
the best of both worlds."

Though I don't know how well "up-to-date" translates; it would be better
to have a single word rather than a hyphenated phrase to describe the
idea.

Sure. But which one? Current/recent/actual? I was even thinking of "cool"
but in the end I wasn't really happy with any of those.

So I resorted to "up-to-date" which is a quite familiar term. Not optimal but
at least straight to the point. ;)

But by talking early on in building "brand recognition" for Leap and
tying the name to the ideas of having current software and being
reliable, eventually you should be able to talk just about the "best of
both worlds" and have people generally know that that's what you mean.

Yep. But "The Up-to-date Reliability Release" (URR) puts more emphasis on
being "current" which includes hardware-support. That's why for URR to work
the latest LTS-kernel would be essential.

Being more current would set Leap apart from Debian, Centos and other
LTS-"stability"-releases.

Richard Brown's idea of "Best of both worlds" puts more emphasis on
"community-innovations" - if I understand him correctly. And this might work
without the LTS-kernel.

But without that, I agree with jdd here - that if you specify just "The
best of both worlds", you might make people think that you were talking
about, for example, the Linux and Windows worlds coming together.

Jim

That's up to Richard to comment on.

But perhaps we should just say

"Leap 42.1 - The Best of ALL Worlds!" ;)

Rainer Fiebig