Re: [opensuse-project] Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:42 +0200
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015, 15:00:47 schrieb Bruno Friedmann:
On Friday 17 July 2015 12.35:15 Jay wrote:
Am Freitag, 17. Juli 2015, 11:13:26 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Torsdag den 16. juli 2015 18:17:24 skrev Jay:
So I took a look at Leap again. When using the latest LTS-kernel

with the SUSE-packages, it has the following features/benefits:
Some of these are questionable.

- hard to beat stability
- continuity through long-term-support

Already a lot of SLE core packages are being replaced (kernel, qt, gtk,
gnome, alsa, pulseaudio). Imagine how it will be in 42.2 and 42.3.

I guess in the end the added "stability" and "continuity" will be
limited to systemd, the LAMP stack, GNU utils and maybe YaST.
Everything else will have the same stability as before or worse,
because the packages are tested more on Tumbleweed, than they will be
on Leap.

"worse" would be bad indeed.

But can really be an option, we have less than 6 months to build the
building By long experience, those are most of the time the not best
release we made.
Also there's a big question mark about how the service packs will be
announced and installed. The way things are looking to me the, the user
will need to keep track of service pack releases himself. And then
either
download an ISO and upgrade with that, or manually switch repos to 42.2
and
zypper dup every 12 months (maybe the YaST Wagon module will be
usable?).
Upgrading the desktop environment and all applications to new and
changed
versions. I'm not sure desktop users will perceive that as continuity,
even
if systemd and some other base packages don't change. Compare that e.g.
running 13.2 for 26 months, with nothing really changing.

For server users the service packs will probably be less disruptive, so
they might experience some continuity, even if they need to
"distupgrade" every 12 months. But it's a complicated thing to
communicate to them I think.>
Your'e painting a rather grim picture here. Hope this doesn't come true.
I supposed those things would already be clear at this stage.

I guess Martin is sharing is long time experience, and mine started around
7.x will agree. Only in a few cycles we will see if we change the way we
release things. Actually yes there's just a bit too much question marks ;-)

Yep! What's in need here is checkmarks!

For me there are too many open questions to even begin considering a
strategy for how to market Leap.

But it's about time if Leap is to be launched at the beginning of
November.
That's why I wrote this thing.

Rainer Fiebig

On my point of view, so To be taken with a grain of salt, I would stay very
humble on the promise of Leap at the beginning.
I believe it could hurt a lot if something is advertised and "sell as" and
we don't offer (at least at the very beginning) the level of quality we all
want.

Too late for being humble! Take a look at the name: "Leap 42.1"! ;)
With that name we won't ge a second chance to make a first impression!

It's got to be a spot-landing at the first trial. ;)

Rainer Fiebig