[opensuse-project] Leap 42.1: Positioning / USP
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:17:24 +0200
The baby's got a name now and a good solution for hardware-
support (kernel) seems to have been found.

So I've been thinking a bit about how we might finally position Leap
and also use this as the USP (Unique Selling Proposition).

In positioning one has to consider what the target-user may value,
what the product offers and of course the competition.

I think we roughly know what our target-users like
and what other major distros are doing.

So I took a look at Leap again. When using the latest LTS-kernel
with the SUSE-packages, it has the following features/benefits:

- hard to beat stability
- continuity through long-term-support
- pretty up-to-date hardware-support
- up-to-date yet stable user-software

Obviously, Leap has a strong stability/continuity-attribute
and a somewhat less-strong "up-to-date"-attribute.

Now for the hard part: how to summarize this without
writing an article?

The name "Leap 42.1" already does part of the job.
Stability and continuity can be merged into "reliability".
For lack of a better idea, I called the "up-to-date"-attribute
just that.

And this leads to my proposal for positioning Leap 42.1 as:

> The Up-to-date Reliability Release <

AFAIK no other major distro offers the same combination.
So the USP would be:

The only Up-to-date Reliability Release

"Up-to-date Reliability Release" is a new expression
(as is "Reliability Release") and AFAIK no other
major distribution so far has made that claim.

As Leap would be the first to do so, chances are good
that after a while of consistent communication
Leap would own this position in the users mind.

Any thoughts?
"Up-to-date" too strong?
Could we stand by that claim also in the long run?

Rainer Fiebig