Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 12:44:12 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 9. Juli 2015, 07:55:20 schrieb Michal Kubecek:
On Wednesday 08 of July 2015 17:25:57 Jay wrote:
An LTS-kernel would reinforce the LTS-/ultimate-stability-idea of Leap
while ensuring hardware-support that's up-to-date-enough for that
release. It would also signal that Leap is not behind the status quo.

The latest LTS-kernel listed on kernel.org is 3.18. That's newer than
the initial kernel (3.16) for 13.2. And I think that may already
suffice. An LTS-kernel 4.1 would of course be better - if "announced"
is really equal to "listed".

According to https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html, 3.18 stable
has expected EOL in January 2017. That's not sufficient if we want three
years of support for 42.1.

But there will be service-packs of the SUSE-packages. We could switch to the
latest LTS-kernel available at that time.

Of course, we don't know yet for how long
does Greg plan to maintain 4.1 stable (technically, it's not LTS yet).

In any way it should be ensured that 13.2-users who upgrade to Leap
don't encounter hardware-issues due to an outdated kernel.

Just an idea... what if we don't insist on 13.2 -> 42.1 being an upgrade
in all components? If we hold to the "two releases plus two months"
rule, 13.2 should be supported until 42.2 is released so that current
13.2 users could keep using it for now and then upgrade to 42.2 which
will most likely have newer kernel.

Michal Kubeček

One could do that. But in the end this would amount to an outright
recommendation to 13.2-users (and other potential users as well) NOT to
upgrade to Leap because hardware-support is too far behind status quo.
Difficult to imagine. And it would only translocate the issue into the future.

As I see it, everything is in place for Leap 42.1 to become a great success -
except hardware-support.

Going with the latest available (or "announced") LTS-kernel might solve
that problem and therefore seems like a reasonable compromise to me.
If technically feasable, that is.

Rainer Fiebig