Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
Torsdag den 9. juli 2015 07:55:20 skrev Michal Kubecek:
According to https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html, 3.18 stable
has expected EOL in January 2017. That's not sufficient if we want three
years of support for 42.1. Of course, we don't know yet for how long
does Greg plan to maintain 4.1 stable (technically, it's not LTS yet).

There will not be 3 years of support for 42.1.

Current plans are that there will be a service pack after 1 year, that users
are "forced" to upgrade to within 6 months. Similar to what SLE does if I
understand correctly. So 42.1 is really only supported for 18 months.

Of course 42.2 shouldn't be a major upgrade, at least not for servers. But the
kernel, desktop environments, gui applications etc. are likely to have
versions upgrades.

That's assuming things go according to plans (which of course is heavily
dependent on very unpredictable and uncontrollable factors like timely SLE
releases).

So there would be no problem shipping with 3.18, if only we can assume that a
new LTS kernel is declared before November 2016. But I'm not sure how/when LTS
kernels are picked, randomly, at RH discretion or something else.