Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
  • From: Jay <MyMailClone@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 17:25:57 +0200
Am Dienstag, 7. Juli 2015, 17:13:29 schrieb Richard Brown:
On 7 July 2015 at 16:58, Axel Braun <Axel.Braun@xxxxxx> wrote:
I feel now it is the time to clarify the openSUSE product portfolio of the
future - from what I heard and read in forums, there is some confusion
left!

Leap 42 should be the successor of openSUSE 13.2, what I understood from
[1]. If the basis is SLE12 (with some patches), we still talk about a
Kernel 3.12.x, and I doubt that actual hardware / chipset / graphics
drivers will be addressed properly. So is the target more on the
server/enterprise side, where not the latest hardware/Laptops is used?
If you read the discussions on the Factory mailinglist you will see
that the discussion about which Kernel will be in Leap 42.1 is still
ongoing

What about those users who have reasonably new hardware, but are happy
with a released version - and maybe skip one or two releases before
upgrading?
If you read the discussions on the Factory mailinglist you will see
that the discussion about which Kernel will be in Leap 42.1 is still
ongoing

I took a look at that discussion and I think that - if feasable without
breaking the SUSE-packages - using the latest LTS-kernel for Leap
is really an elegant solution to the problem.

An LTS-kernel would reinforce the LTS-/ultimate-stability-idea of Leap
while ensuring hardware-support that's up-to-date-enough for that release.
It would also signal that Leap is not behind the status quo.

The latest LTS-kernel listed on kernel.org is 3.18. That's newer than the
initial kernel (3.16) for 13.2. And I think that may already suffice.
An LTS-kernel 4.1 would of course be better - if "announced" is really
equal to "listed".

In any way it should be ensured that 13.2-users who upgrade to Leap don't
encounter hardware-issues due to an outdated kernel.

Rainer Fiebig

I feel we need to tell Jack User, who is lurking around openSUSE (and
Linux in general) clearly what the right product is for him. Otherwise we
may lose those less experienced users to other distros - would be pity.

Same for the experienced users - why is Leap a step forward, and not a
step back (as frequently stated in forums)?

Looks like we have the need for some marketing, IMHO.

Agreed, feel free to start updating the wiki:

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Distribution
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap

Also the upcoming openSUSE website
(http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/) will need updating
accordingly, I'm sure cynthia would accept any pull requests sent to
https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page