Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 5:47 PM, G G <hawake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As far as i understand, the new Leap 42 release will have an older
kernel in order to support SUSE patches. That means older hardware
support and older software available.

That is very much up in the air. The latest discussion on -factory is
less than 24 hours old, so anything you read before today is already
out of date.

The latest discussion on -factory states Leap 42.1 MAY ship with the
4.1 LTS kernel, not the one in SLES 12

From http://markmail.org/message/vcjbwk2ndipnrbr2

"Richard and I (Takashi) chatted yesterday shortly after my post, and
we thought of an alternative: stick with a stable kernel version,
preferably a long-time support kernel. For example, we keep the kernel
based on 4.1.x for some time."

Note that Richard is the opensuse board chair and Takashi is one of
the key SUSE kernel developers who understands the driver backporting
issues.

There are a few more emails in that thread, but it is clear this is
still an area of active discussion / decision, not a done deal at all.

Greg