Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Product Portfolio (was: The Name & Version for the new openSUSE Regular Distribution)
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 17:13:29 +0200
On 7 July 2015 at 16:58, Axel Braun <Axel.Braun@xxxxxx> wrote:

I feel now it is the time to clarify the openSUSE product portfolio of the
future - from what I heard and read in forums, there is some confusion left!

Leap 42 should be the successor of openSUSE 13.2, what I understood from [1].
If the basis is SLE12 (with some patches), we still talk about a Kernel
3.12.x, and I doubt that actual hardware / chipset / graphics drivers will be
addressed properly.
So is the target more on the server/enterprise side, where not the latest
hardware/Laptops is used?

If you read the discussions on the Factory mailinglist you will see
that the discussion about which Kernel will be in Leap 42.1 is still
ongoing

What about those users who have reasonably new hardware, but are happy with a
released version - and maybe skip one or two releases before upgrading?

If you read the discussions on the Factory mailinglist you will see
that the discussion about which Kernel will be in Leap 42.1 is still
ongoing

I feel we need to tell Jack User, who is lurking around openSUSE (and Linux
in general) clearly what the right product is for him. Otherwise we may lose
those less experienced users to other distros - would be pity.

Same for the experienced users - why is Leap a step forward, and not a step
back (as frequently stated in forums)?

Looks like we have the need for some marketing, IMHO.

Agreed, feel free to start updating the wiki:

https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Distribution
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Leap

Also the upcoming openSUSE website
(http://cyntss.github.io/opensuse-landing-page/) will need updating
accordingly, I'm sure cynthia would accept any pull requests sent to
https://github.com/cyntss/opensuse-landing-page