Re: [opensuse-project] Marketing Definitions from oSC15
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 16:42:31 -0400
On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 1:44 AM, Home <anditosan1000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
1. The project looks for marketing strength in the light of the technologies
that the distribution currently ships with each distribution. Kiwi, OBS,
Tumbleweed, etc. Are the strengths of the project only based on technological
advancement? If yes or no, which ones do you think are a strength to the
project and which ones do you think are not valuable to the project? Should
they all be technical, should they not?

My answer to why 13.2 had good download numbers is the
"OBS->rings->autoQA" model.

You may think of that as technology, but I think a normal user
interprets that as a strong effort to improve the quality of the
release.

Thus when 13.2 came out I would assume many users felt it would be
inherently higher quality than distros without that development model.
(ie. better than past openSUSE releases and better than Fedora, etc.)

==
Overall I think openSUSE has a major marketing strength that it has a
development model that inherently leads to stable software.

The 42 release only furthers that reality.

Look at the first sentence on Volvo's website

"Volvo provides transportation related products and services with
focus on quality, safety and environmental care."

They achieve those goals via technology and engineering, but they
market "quality, safety and environmental care." openSUSE is using
technology to achieve quality and stability. It is quality and
stability which should be marketed, not OBS or KIWI.

As a maintainer I like openSUSE because of the ease of contributing via OBS.

As a user I like openSUSE because of its quality / reliability. If it
ever loses that, it will probably lose me as well.

As it is, the "OBS->rings->autoQA" model is a strong attractant to me.
And the stability of 42 as a base and OBS to enhance the bleeding edge
possibilities just makes it stronger.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer