Re: [opensuse-project] 6 : less than 40 different ppl did send a mail on this list ...
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 20:54:31 +0200
On 15 June 2015 at 20:35, Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What if there was a team of people from the community wanting to continue
the previous release model? We would have openSUSE 42.1 and openSUSE 13.3?
My point is: who gives the power to one group of people to use the openSUSE
name for their new distribution without a vote from the members or at least
a board decision through an open process?

We're really talking about theoreticals here aren't we? Is it worth
expending too many neurons on possible problems?

But, to humour your question and use the theoretical example and an
illustrative for openSUSE should work, it's actually simple.

Those involved in actually doing the work should be the ones who,
collaboratively, come up with a solution, among themselves.

"Those who do, decide"

If we end up with three distributions (Tumbleweed, openSUSE:42, and
openSUSE 13.3) then, obviously the naming for 42 and 13.3 becomes a
big issue.
I'd expect the parties involved with openSUSE:42 and openSUSE 13.3 to
figure it out between them, they're smart people, they don't want
there to be confusion about the names for the things they're working
on.
I see no need to burden or complicate the situation by imposing either
a large process (a member vote) or a small process (the openSUSE
Board) into the decision making?

Only *IF* such a collaboration, for whatever reason, proves
impossible, should the Board get involved..that's our job..

and if the Board is unable to mediate/encourage or otherwise resolve
the situation between those two theoretical parties in this
theoretical example, would an option like a Membership vote make sense
as a possible solution to the issue.

It could be named openSLES or something...

No, it couldn't, SLES is a registered trademark :)