Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
On Sun, 2015-05-10 at 14:43 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:
S√łndag den 10. maj 2015 13:32:26 skrev Richard Brown:
On 10 May 2015 at 11:26, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>

* it'll have outdated hardware support compared to any mainstream distro

Wrong - SLE Service Packs always have baked in hardware enablement,
and sometimes may include full Kernel version changes. openSUSE
Releases will benefit from this work.

If this were true it would mean I could go and get SLE11 with the latest
servicepack and it would have hardware support comparable to openSUSE 13.2
for
cheapo consumer laptops and other consumer hardware. I find that hard to
believe.

Well, to be fair you would need to compare 13.2 with SLE12 because if we
were using the proposed model, 13.2 would be based on SLE12 code. SLE11
SP3 would have been the base for something between 12.3 and 13.1.

You also need to install all the updates and drivers that have been
released over the last 2 years to enable new hardware on SLE11 SP3 base.

SLE hasn't been targeted at "cheapo consumer" devices so there might be
gaps in functionality. The question is - what are those gaps? and can we
fill them for an openSUSE release based on the SLE code? I think these
questions are difficult to answer until we get there. SLE12 is still
relatively fresh code, but getting old fast (just as 13.2 is). From a
kernel technology standpoint will it be good enough to last the next
18mo when we have the next opportunity for a kernel re-base? What
options are their with patches and driver update packages to keep the
distro usable on new hardware until that time?

-Scott
< Previous Next >