Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
  • From: Ancor Gonzalez Sosa <ancor@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 17:41:31 +0200
On 05/11/2015 10:25 AM, Frederic Crozat wrote:
Le dimanche 10 mai 2015 à 13:32 +0200, Richard Brown a écrit :
On 10 May 2015 at 11:26, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* old software (primarily talking about applications and desktop
environments
here, the stuff that people actually "see")

Wrong - The discussions so far on this topic with our Desktop Teams
all show an interest of putting newer desktops ontop of this platform.

For everybody knowledge, I was successful in ensuring GNOME 3.14.x
packages from GNOME:Factory (before 3.16 landed on Tumbledweed) could
work on SLE12 sources a few weeks ago. Few changes were needed on SLE12
for this (I only required one Intel driver update, which was fixing a
deadlock, trigger by GNOME > 3.10) and some changes in GNOME packages
(mostly disabling Wayland when building on SLE12) which were integrated
on GNOME:Factory.

I don't envision a lot of issues with GNOME 3.16, I'll try to rebuild it
on top of SLE sources, to see which adaptions are needed (probably not
much). And maybe, if I have some time, I might even try to do a spin of
SLE sources on OBS with GNOME 3.16 on top of it, just to see how a new
openSUSE Regular release could look like ;)

And I know that this hackweek project resulted in working KDE4 packages
for SLE12 (the author will probably blog about it as time permits).
https://hackweek.suse.com/12/projects/980

So putting modern desktops on top of SLE12 doesn't seem to be impossible.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa
YaST Team at SUSE Linux GmbH