Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere

On 05/10/2015 08:43 AM, Martin Schlander wrote:
S√łndag den 10. maj 2015 13:32:26 skrev Richard Brown:
On 10 May 2015 at 11:26, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
* a release every 2-3 years

Wrong - we're talking about an openSUSE 'minor release' every
year, based on SLE Service Packs (current planning within SUSE
expects SLE12 service packs at the end of each calender year) A
major release would be about 3 years into the future, around the
same time as SUSE building SLE 13. SUSE intend to build SLE 13
by starting with a snapshot of Tumbleweed when they need to
start building the next version of the enterprise distro.. I
guess I forgot to mention that, but it might go some way to
express the reliability Tumbleweed has these days.

If this were to be true you would end up having 3-4 different
stable openSUSE releases alive to support at any given time.

And in the case of SLE11->SLE12 it would actually have been 5 years
between major releases.

* it'll have outdated hardware support compared to any
mainstream distro

Wrong - SLE Service Packs always have baked in hardware
enablement, and sometimes may include full Kernel version
changes. openSUSE Releases will benefit from this work.

If this were true it would mean I could go and get SLE11 with the
latest servicepack and it would have hardware support comparable to
openSUSE 13.2 for cheapo consumer laptops and other consumer
hardware. I find that hard to believe.

Guess I should try and get the trial of SLE11SP3 to see how bad
things actually are towards the end of SLE major cycle.

Well, one point in the whole thing is that an openSUSE release based
on SLE sources would never get toward the end of the SLE life cycle.
Generally as SLE approaches the mid-term of a life cycle a new version
is released. Thus, openSUSE based on SLE sources should not reach the
long tail.

But the concern is valid as not all HW that needs support and has
drivers upstream is of interest to SLE and thus backports would
potentially lacking. If there is a commitment from SUSE to backport
also those drivers that are not important to SLE into the source tree
for SLE that openSUSE would be based on that would be an "easy" fix to
address this concern.

Later,
Robert

- --