Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
  • From: Robert Schweikert <rjschwei@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:19:37 -0400

On 05/10/2015 05:26 AM, Martin Schlander wrote:
Lørdag den 9. maj 2015 19:24:52 skrev Richard Brown:
On 9 May 2015 at 15:14, Martin Schlander
<martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
If you dismiss the model of Tumbleweed based openSUSE releases
on this background, you never gave the model a fair chance.
<snip>
And regardless, whatever problems 13.2 had, will only become worse
by basing on SLE, and alienating the Tumbleweed contributors
further from the stable openSUSE releases.

We need to fix the issues, and not venture into some radical
experiment, that I can't see succeeding.

Agreed

<snip>

If you're motivated to use openSUSE because "I want a Linux
distribution that just works", then please, help us with this
new Regular Release, in order to make it perfect for you use
cases.

Well, if you're going to sell this idea, you need to show me how
it'll be significantly different than Debian Stable (apart from
having a few great tools like yast, zypper, obs of course ;-).

Because from what I gather from the discussion, assuming anyone
would actually step up and build this distro, it'll have:

* a release every 2-3 years

The releases would probably be malingered with SLE SP releases. The
current public time frame for those is 16-18 months. Thus it would be
a bit faster than 2-3 years.

* it'll have outdated hardware support compared to any mainstream
distro

This would most likely apply only to plugin stuff or consumer grade
HW. On the server side SLE kernels enable a lot of hardware along the
way. Thus this argument has to be considered from both viewpoints.
However, as I have stated elsewhere I am very concerned about the
enablement of drivers that are not of interest to the enterprise team
and how we would get those backported.

* old software (primarily talking about applications and desktop
environments here, the stuff that people actually "see")

I think the idea is to have the "latest and greatest" DEs on the SLE
Core. Thus the outdated applications may not necessarily be as big of
a concern as is being stated here.

Later,
Robert

- --