Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
Le dimanche 10 mai 2015 à 13:32 +0200, Richard Brown a écrit :
On 10 May 2015 at 11:26, Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, if you're going to sell this idea, you need to show me how it'll be
significantly different than Debian Stable (apart from having a few great
tools
like yast, zypper, obs of course ;-).

Because from what I gather from the discussion, assuming anyone would
actually
step up and build this distro, it'll have:

* a release every 2-3 years

Wrong - we're talking about an openSUSE 'minor release' every year,
based on SLE Service Packs (current planning within SUSE expects SLE12
service packs at the end of each calender year)
A major release would be about 3 years into the future, around the
same time as SUSE building SLE 13. SUSE intend to build SLE 13 by
starting with a snapshot of Tumbleweed when they need to start
building the next version of the enterprise distro.. I guess I forgot
to mention that, but it might go some way to express the reliability
Tumbleweed has these days.

* it'll have outdated hardware support compared to any mainstream distro

Wrong - SLE Service Packs always have baked in hardware enablement,
and sometimes may include full Kernel version changes. openSUSE
Releases will benefit from this work.

* old software (primarily talking about applications and desktop
environments
here, the stuff that people actually "see")

Wrong - The discussions so far on this topic with our Desktop Teams
all show an interest of putting newer desktops ontop of this platform.

For everybody knowledge, I was successful in ensuring GNOME 3.14.x
packages from GNOME:Factory (before 3.16 landed on Tumbledweed) could
work on SLE12 sources a few weeks ago. Few changes were needed on SLE12
for this (I only required one Intel driver update, which was fixing a
deadlock, trigger by GNOME > 3.10) and some changes in GNOME packages
(mostly disabling Wayland when building on SLE12) which were integrated
on GNOME:Factory.

I don't envision a lot of issues with GNOME 3.16, I'll try to rebuild it
on top of SLE sources, to see which adaptions are needed (probably not
much). And maybe, if I have some time, I might even try to do a spin of
SLE sources on OBS with GNOME 3.16 on top of it, just to see how a new
openSUSE Regular release could look like ;)

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager