Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
Hello,

Am Donnerstag, 7. Mai 2015 schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
* Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2015-05-07 15:57]:
What are the reasons that people don't answer our calls for help?

I can think of a few reasons:
[...]

I fully agree with those reasons, and have another one ;-)

As you probably know, I'm maintaining the AppArmor package [1]. Over the
time, I moved more and more to the upstream side of things (especially
the aa-* tools) and recently even DoS'ed the other developers with a big
patch series to review ;-)

This work also ends up in openSUSE, but probably in a less visible way -
"new upstream release" sounds easy in the .changes, while "added patches
to fix boo#x, #y and #z" looks like a lot more work and a very active
maintainer. (If I'd add each of my upstream commits as patch to the
AppArmor package, maintaining it would be fun[tm]...)

Of course this means I invest a bigger part of my free time on the
upstream AppArmor work, which also reduces the time _directly_ spent on
openSUSE (so I might look "less active" in openSUSE) - but the invested
time/work comes back to openSUSE with the next AppArmor release.

Oh, BTW: This $%&$ยง buildservice is ruining my bugzilla activity
statistics! Some years ago, the only method to get rid of bugs was
filing a bugreport. Nowadays it's often easier and faster to send a SR
for small bugs/fixes, which also means not writing a bugreport ;-))

Regards,

Christian Boltz

[1] I could write a similar mail about PostfixAdmin, where I'm currently
the most active upstream author and also package it for openSUSE.

--
Meine allerste Festplatte hatte 30 MB, und ich war der King, weil alle
anderen 20 MB hatten. Sie fragten, was ich mit 30 MB wolle, die bekomme