[opensuse-project] A proposal for moving forward

So there's been a lot of bikeshedding about moving forward, but not
really any concrete proposals... so lets get this party started.

In general, we have proven we're great at building the tools around
building a distro, so lets leverage that as far as we can, take
advantage of SUSE Elements for as much combined effort as we can, and
make sure we're all having a lot of fun.

( Do what you want with this, it's just a set of ideas. )

(1) Tumbleweed is tumbleweed, and tumbleweed works.

Don't change a thing about it, but encourage package/product
maintainers to start working in OpenQA, so we can (continue to) have
the most stable rolling GNU/Linux distro available.

(2) Transition openSUSE packages over to Elements, up to X, but not
including DEs or GUI apps.

Lets take advantage of the situation to create more compatibility, and
reduce redundant package maintenance on things that should be our
stable foundation anyway.

(3) openSUSE releases aligned with SLE GA & SP releases.

Since we're building on SUSE Elements, it makes sense to use that as a
release roadmap.

(4) Re-spin openSUSE with Kernel::Stable

For those that want a current vanilla kernel instead of the SUSE
kernel, make it easy. Release on the same course as Tumbleweed:
pkg update -> openQA -> release

(5) Encourage DE project maintainers to Re-spin & release on major
updates.

GNOME 3.16 is stable? Release the openSUSE GNOME Live disc with 3.16.
Plasma 5 is default? Release an updated openSUSE KDE image.

Like the Kernel::Stable discussion, add the [project]::Stable repos to
the image, run it through openQA, and release it.

- --
James Mason
Technical Architect, Public Cloud
openSUSE Member