Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
* Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> [2015-05-07 15:57]:
Hey,

On 07.05.2015 10:23, Richard Brown wrote:

but when we look around and call for volunteers to actually
help, like we did for the 13.2 release process, or oSC 15, we're very
lucky if we get anyone helping at all

That's the point I was trying to inspire a discussion about. I think we
need to think very hard and with a very open mind about what this means.

What are the reasons that people don't answer our calls for help?

I can think of a few reasons:

- as long as things do not totally break down but still limp
along, few people feel actully compelled to act (see e.g.
release process) and even if, there is no guarantee that they
will

- tasks like release engineering or kernel maintenance are not
very rewarding but laborious, time-consuming, and require a lot
of skills and experience all of which are in general a scarce
resource, hence it's hard to find unpaid volunteers for that
(see e.g. the volunteer-driven Debian release process or
FreeBSD's past problems with pusing out stable point releases)

- a huge community does not imply that there are enough potential
contributors with the right skills and enough spare time to
sustain the project, it depends on the composition of the
community, i.e. whom you attract (see e.g. Ubuntu and their
problems maintaining the volunteer-driven Universe repo)
--
Guido Berhoerster