Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
Am 07.05.2015 um 10:51 schrieb Richard Brown:
So, in short terms, this would mean that each openSUSE $New point
release would be supported for at least 18 months (longer if the
release takes longer to come out), with the last release having a
longer time to handle the transition to the big new codebase.

With the exception of the extra long duration of the .3 release, I
realise this theoretical scenario might appear to be very similar to
the status quo, but by using the Shared SLE Sources, the impact of
these 'minor version bumps' will be significantly smaller than
openSUSE's old version bumps (where every one was a major jump, every
time), so there is a strong case to be made that people should be
comfortable jumping in that 6 month window every time.

What do you think?

This depends on the impact of an SLE service pack. I would expect it's not that
much of a hassle since SUSE has a strong interest to make it smooth to the SLE
customers as well. I personally have no real experience with SP upgrades though
but heard that SLES11 SP3 was not that smooth.
So this plan might work.

Wolfgang