Re: [opensuse-project] Don't search developers. Develop them. Events, events everywhere
  • From: Efstathios Iosifidis <iefstathios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 10:13:38 +0300
Le 07/05/2015 00:30, Efstathios Iosifidis a écrit :

Hello my friends,

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to the conference due to family
health problems.

I saw the project meeting and I totally agree with Henne. Actually I
was preparing a post about part of what he said.
Here it is:
https://lizards.opensuse.org/2015/05/06/developing-developers/

It doesn't matter if the product is the best (SLEbased, SLEless,
Tumbleweed).
If there are no end users to use and promote it (because usually
developers don't), then it's useless to have it.

Find out WHY you do what you do and just go out and engage people (as
I mention, the term marketing leeds to profits-money).
Go to events, bring more people (prefer end users) to community and
just help them engage-grow.

Help end users to find themselfs in the community. If they like it,
they'll become developers. If they're not interested in developing,
they'll help make our project fantabulous.

Don't forget to have fun.
/S

it's exactly my thought, but I'm not sure it's that of the board, at least
not what was said in the conference I attended, that openSUSE should be more
developers oriented.

the reasoning is that few users become participant. But IMHO, developers
can't be found but out of other distros and It's not a good practice.

New people can't be found but from users, and among many users, having a
small percentage may be a great total

jdd

To add something more to my mail and jdd's, Fedora community in my
country was developers oriented (when I was using Fedora). Now all
Fedora ambassadors promote Mozilla, everyone is a Mozilla Rep (except
one that is working as DJ).

On the other hand, Ubuntu community grows. They were focused on end
users. Some of them became Ubuntu members, forum moderators, sysadmins
of Ubuntu infra, small project developers, freelancers. Many of them
bought the Ubuntu phone. So they're devoted to Ubuntu no matter what.

/S