[opensuse-project] Re: After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2015 17:54:55 +0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 05 May 2015 09:34:11 +0200, Michal Kubecek wrote:

No, it does not. "Support point of view" is something completely
different: how well are we able to support the kernel packages. And this
would be actually one of the reasons why consider SLE (or SLE based)
kernel even if it may be seen "too old" by some.

Well, yes and no. We get users who often ask about how to get the latest
kernel on their build because they want new features (not just backported
fixes).

The kernel is probably going to be the biggest thing to sort out - making
sure that we're meeting user expectations in openSUSE while providing the
stability in SLE that comes from using a well-tested and not-bleeding-
edge kernel.

As long as the needs are met (either through a choice of "core kernel" or
"more current kernel" (or even "bleeding-edge kernel" for that matter), I
think we'll meet the needs of most users without too much trouble.

Jim

--
Jim Henderson