Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
  • From: Luiz Fernando Ranghetti <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 18:52:38 -0300
From the view of one of the openSUSE forum moderators (and the other
moderators may have a different view, as this is my private view wrt giving
support) I am not particularly keen on seeing a kernel that is too old with
openSUSE. Again , this comes from a forum support viewpoint.

Currently , I believe the openSUSE packagers have done a super job with
their kernel management, ensuring openSUSE gets a new fairly recent and
stable kernel every 9-months or so (timed to the new release).

This 'not too old' kernel has a significant advantage from a support point
of view, which means new hardware support (that is not too ancient) is
constantly fed into openSUSE. One does not often need to go to tumbleweed
(to get a possibly less tested openSUSE kernel version) to obtain more
recent hardware support from a newer kernel.

ie if SLE has an old kernel, I would be concerned that the hardware support
for openSUSE would suffer. Reviewers/new-users installing openSUSE for the
first time (who are not aware of Tumbleweed) could stumble and have problems
here.

Would applying a Tumbleweed kernel be the only way to address such an older
kernel concern ?

Lee

Hi,

No, probably just add the Kernel:Stable to that install, just like nowadays.

Regards,

Luiz