Re: [opensuse-project] Re: After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE [ARMv7 point of view]
Matwey V. Kornilov - 11:36 3.05.15 wrote:
01.05.2015 13:07, jdd пишет:
After the Richard talk at OSC, the status of openSUSE stays unclear,
that's normal it have to be discussed, but I see it like this:

* Tumbleweed, the rolling release will the distribution for advanced users
* openSUSE?
* I new variant (name?) will be more stable, very long time support (at
least 3 years), yearly release?

In fact it may not be usefull to have three kind of distros, if
Tumbleweed is stable enough *and* can cope with proprietary video
drivers and Virtualbox drivers (is that kmp?), because it's the only
reason one needs really the present openSUSE version

just my understanding

jdd

Hi, having read amount of mail on the topic, I would like to say the
following:

I like idea to have Rolling-Release + Shared-with-SLE-core on x86.
But, basically it won't work on armv7 boards. I have been trying to run
openSUSE on BeagleBone Black for one year or so and found that
tuning/fixing the kernel is the largest part of work.

I found it to be so big part, that I prefer to use custom kernel then
the distribution one. And it should be no big deal to keep different
kernel for ARM - there are different images anyway.

The rootfs and packages work, just kernel needs to be special in some
cases. But as more and more is getting upstream and mainstream I think
that over the time it will be easier and easier to integrate everything
needed in Tumbleweed. For regular release, I would say using a different
kernel for ARM might be an option.