Re: [opensuse-project] Re: After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
On Sun, May 03, 2015 at 12:04:50PM +0300, Matwey V. Kornilov wrote:

I would suggest just to have two kernel branches for tumbleweed.
The first one coming from
http://kernel.opensuse.org/cgit/kernel-source/log/?h=stable as it does now.
The second one is the latest longterm release. So, we would have 4.1.x
and 3.18.y for user choice. And if user has issues with proprietary
drivers then he just can stick on 3.18 or rollback. (It is similar to
debian with kernel from backports)

AFAICS (upstream) stable branches do not preserve kABI so that even if
you follow, say, stable-3.18.y, you have no guarantee third-party binary
modules won't break.

Michal Kubeček