Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE

On 2015-05-01 15:57, Richard Brown wrote:
On 1 May 2015 at 12:32, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

I'll make sure the video gets posted here as soon as it can

I just watched it.

I was about to post when my laptop crashed. Well, the battery run out.
It actually asked for my root password to try hibernate, but I did
not notice why and refused. It is a known bug of XFCE, it requests
for root password to hibernate, even on emergencies, and it does
so behind the screensaver, so you do not see the prompt. Known
and reported bug.

Not subject for here, though.

Well, what was I saying... ah, that I just watched the video.

Interesting... I'm still digesting it. I'm not averted to the idea, in
principle... I have doubts, though.

There are many more reasons. But I don't see Tumbleweed ever
coping with proprietary blubs: moving target. The proprietary
blubs always lag behind by several months.

Sad but true, but I also think people would do well to re-evaluate
whether they really need the proprietary blobs - the open source
drivers are getting better, and are a good choice for many people
now.

For many, true, but not for all.

If it is about video drivers, the open source drivers will always lag
in features compared to the closed source drivers, and these are
behind the Windows counterparts (I'm thinking of Nvidia). The hardware
companies will see to it that the open drivers have a hard time and
never fully catch up.

In many cases, the open source driver suffices, but not always.

And then there are other proprietary blobs with no alternative at all.
The obvious case is virtualbox or vmware, but there are more. Some
printers, for instance. Or proprietary suites. They can target SLES,
but not Tumbleweed. A stable openSUSE release has a chance. And after
your proposal, chances are better.

By the way, talking of stable...

Stability is not only about not crashing. It is also not having to
"touch" the installation often: just install once, then use the
computer for many months, with patches, yes, but without having to
configure again services, reading manuals because something changed
(with the new version), etc.

Which is kind of the meaning of "static".

We want stability in order to work with the computer, not for the
computer ;-)

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" (Minas Tirith))