Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
Hi,

Am 01.05.2015 um 20:39 schrieb Michal Kubecek:
On Fri, May 01, 2015 at 09:51:52AM -0500, Robert Martens wrote:
I think the two-distro options feels like the best one at the moment.
Would the Essence-based openSUSE release also subsume the Evergreen
team as well? Could it? Am I really behind the curve and Evergreen is
already gone?

I don't think so. IMHO even with the SLE Core, I don't think longer
(3 and more years) support of every openSUSE release (released once a
year) is feasible. After all, even Richard in his talk (I have only seen
the slides so far) mentions numbers like ~1000 packages in Core (even if
the key ones) and ~6000 in total. We simply do not have resources for
that.

So either the intervals between releases will be longer or not every
release can get full length of support. Either way, what's new is that
the basic set of packages (Core) can get much better level of support
even for releases with shorter support length.

(Of course, this is only the way I see it, I may still be pleasantly
surprised for once.)

While I have to admit that Evergreen could not cover 100% of openSUSE
before but really a lot, don't let me estimate but at least we tried to
fix everything we got aware of security-wise, I think it could be
possible with joined forces.
But as I understood the talk I'm not sure if we would have a release
every 12 months? We might have a service pack every 12 months but this
is tested for upgrade paths and everything. So yes, openSUSE would have
much more packages than SLES but openSUSE has it today already, is
maintained for 18 months and some maintained by Evergreen even longer.

If the project finally agrees to have something more stable and longer
maintained and the approach of service packs every 12 months is
acceptable for an LTS like thing, it might work out.
If this is not the case there is no point in changing anything IMHO.

Wolfgang