Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
Hi,

Am 01.05.2015 um 18:26 schrieb Greg Freemyer:
On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM, Robert Martens <martenrt@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think the two-distro options feels like the best one at the moment. Would
the Essence-based openSUSE release also subsume the Evergreen team as well?
Could it? Am I really behind the curve and Evergreen is already gone?

Evergreen is alive and well, but between major activities:

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Evergreen#Supported_distributions

13.1 has been designated an Evergreen release was originally scheduled
to enter Evergreen support mode May 2015 (ie. now).

But it is still in official support, so there is little (or nothing)
for the Evergreen team (of 2 or 3 people) to do at present.

Given the 13.1 official support period has been extended by at least 6
months I don't know what the Evergreen support plan is for 13.1 at
this point.

Thanks for the explanation Greg.

So indeed the plan currently is unchanged from Evergreen perspective.
But then again, the outcome of all this discussion and new movement will
probably have a direct impact on openSUSE 13.1 Evergreen.

Because in case openSUSE really moves to a longer maintained release
with a SLES base the extra Evergreen project might not be required anymore.
So let's imagine we would decide (and get delivered) an openSUSE 13.3
with a SLES base which is maintained by SUSE and the openSUSE community
for 3 years (at least) it could happen that next Evergreen would be
maintained for a shorter time with a recommendation to update to 13.3
and go from there.
So basically if the goals of Evergreen are finally delivered by openSUSE
next it's probably not required anymore. (Or said differently: Evergreen
project and openSUSE could directly join forces with SUSE to deliver a
distro which would count as LTS.)
But the Evergreen discussion can really start only after the openSUSE
vision is clear and for the time being in case required Evergreen will
eventually start with 13.1 maintenance.

Wolfgang