Re: [opensuse-project] [Announcement] SUSE Release SLE Sources to openSUSE Project
Am 01.05.2015 um 16:48 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
A so-patched version then also fails to resemble anything in original
documentation, creating confusion whereever you look. Time and again,
I have people emailing me about xtables-addons(-1.x) which, while it
supports 2.6.32, does not support whatever RHEL calls "2.6.32". Or
more globally put, upstream will rightfully call them bastardized
versions and at worst refuse assistance.

No downgrades (slew it like ntp), no feature backports (bump package
instead), no version games. These are my openSUSE ideals.

I can agree to these ideals - no doubt.

The question is: can the openSUSE project afford to live these ideals or
are we better off with doing Tumbleweed according to the "upstream
first" policy and leave the dirty patching of systemd to SUSE. RHEL and
SLE will not stop creating these bastards because their businesses
require it. And yes, upstreams often refuse assistance and they
rightfully do. But still I don't really see too many openSUSE
contributors interested in fixing bugs in systemd versions released with
openSUSE releases. Usually the answer the reporter gets is:
fixed in upstream/Factory. So I don't think current openSUSE releases
serve the typical user's needs best. But that's who we make them for,
aren't we? We don't do them to please xtable-addons upstream - so
perhaps we should stop caring for them as our main concern.

Greetings, Stephan