Re: [opensuse-project] After the Richard talk... what's new for openSUSE
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2015 16:06:56 +0200
Actually I would see
* Tumbleweed (hopefully a bit more stable and usable with regard to 3rd
party integration support (nvidia, virtualbox etc))
* openSUSE $VERSION
could/should be based on the SLE code but have
- replaced/updated (Gnome and whatever we need newer) and
- added (KDE and whatever important packages/desktops are missing in
SLES) components

+1 I would like to see openSUSE offer 2 distributions.
One rolling release for the cutting edge, stable-but-speedy ie.
openSUSE Tumbleweed

One regular release for more conservative users - and I think basing
it on SLE code is a naturally good choice.

a Third distribution, is more than I think we can realistically
support or maintain

Now some questions for details coming up:
- do we want the SLES codebase to be installable on its own
and have the replaced and additional components optional in
additional repos? - leading to two update/maintenance streams
for the overlap

I see this as two related but suggestions -

Installable on it's own - I would strongly vote no - this 'installable
on its own' would be a 3rd distribution for us to look after, and I
think it would directly detract focus from making a 'new openSUSE
Regular Release' as stable and exciting as possible.

additional components in additional repos (effectively making openSUSE
an 'add-on' which we could also provide as a cohesive distribution) -
Despite the above, I kind of like this idea, in theory, but I think it
makes things more complicated in terms of maintenance.

- Or will this openSUSE dist replace things and create only one
repository for that?

I think this is the easiest for maintenance, but requires solid
tracking of what we're replacing, so we need to get that answered.

With the latter I see the "problem" that it'll be very hard to come to a
conclusion in the community what to replace/override. This decision will
also be hard for the former though but then the user still can decide if
he wants to follow the openSUSE fancy stuff or the more ?more? stable
SLES core by using an overlay repository.

Is it so hard? Those who do, decide - If the GNOME team want to put a
new GNOME on this, they can do that.. same for KDE..or any other
stack..is there another way we decide anything else?

Given that we already have these kind of overlay repos in OBS (KDE,
Gnome, etc) having a relatively small set of packages replacing/updating
the SLES part but probably focus more on additional ones to compensate
the big difference between amount of openSUSE and SLES packages could be
a way forward.

I think we're thinking along the same lines, though if you could
explain what you're seeing in more detail, that would be great