Re: [opensuse-project] [Announcement] SUSE Release SLE Sources to openSUSE Project
Am 01.05.2015 um 14:08 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Friday 2015-05-01 13:20, Stephan Kulow wrote:

Am 01.05.2015 um 11:34 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
In particular though, regarding package selection, I do have
the following constraints:

- no downgrades relative to the versions that already were present
in 13.2, even if that means that converging to openSUSE:Essence
takes longer.
I am not going to accept the backstep from kernel 3.16 to 3.12 :-)

It's a hard to swallow pill, but the question is basically: for how long
can *you* maintain 3.16? kernel.org doesn't for you nor does SUSE.
Before it's misunderstood: the 3.16 kernel in 13.2 is maintained as
long as 13.2 is - replace 3.16 with 4.$SOMERANDOMNUMBER in my
argument :)

The point is that there are features that you cannot backstep from.
For example, kernelnewbies.org says about 3.16: "In this release, XFS
has added a btree that tracks free inodes. This feature adds does not
change existing on-disk structures, but adds a new one that must
remain consistent with the inode allocation btree; for this reason
older kernels will only be able to mount read-only filesystems with
the free inode btree feature."

Whatever kernel is picked for 13.3, if it is less than 3.16, people
could run into a problem for something that worked before. I have not
found the new flags on my XFS superblocks yet, but that does not have
to mean anything.

Can we agree on:
13.3 kernel needs to be able to cope with filesystems created
with 13.2

and leave out version numbers?

Greetings, Stephan