Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016 picture
On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Will Stephenson - 13:08 3.12.13 wrote:
On Tuesday 03 Dec 2013 07:00:29 Michal Hrusecky wrote:
I would agree with companies part but disagree with your conclusion. We
have
actually really good marketing.

Are you sure about that?

Well, nobody calls us dead and people know that we still exist. Which is more
that I can tell about Gentoo :-)

How well we do depends on what you look at. We do great for the
release: our press kit is in time and we write articles for news.o.o.
Or at least, I do, and there sometimes is a little help (andi has
recently helped out, thanks for that). It of course USED to be a team
effort.

Social-media wise, we're doing great too, thanks to the efforts of
Ilias, Terrorpup, Stathis, Gertjan Letting, Victorhck and others. I
think I shared a graph before, but if I didn't - here's one:
http://susepaste.org/63730501 - statts are maintained by Ilias, yay
;-)

In other areas - I looked up a few numbers. Draw your own conclusions.

The openSUSE Ambassador program was one of the main activities of AJ
and myself (together with general marketing, of course) until the 1st
half of 2012, when we both got new responsibilities.

Mails on the ambassador ML from Jan-Nov:
2011: 1010
2012: 338
2013: 151

This communication is of course about planning events, we were still
building up our efforts in 2011 and the first months of 2012 (planning
happens in advance...) So, the events:
2011: 71
2012: 78
2013: 27

* 20 on the list are actually an event in Mexico

From http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Ambassadors_events (not complete,
never is, never was - but it gives a good idea).

Then there is writing articles for various websites and magazines,
preparing marketing materials, promoting our events etc. which we
coordinate on the marketing ML.
Mails on the marketing ML from Jan-Nov
2011: 2499
2012: 730
2013: 354

I didn't look up the nr of articles written by the marketing team
about openSUSE in various places, but in 2013 there were none that I
am aware off. Most of the marketing materials we have are from the
12.1 and 12.2 releases. And anybody remembers
https://twitter.com/omgsuse ???

Cheers,
Jos

--