Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
On 11/27/2013 03:16 AM, Manuel Trujillo (TooManySecrets) wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM, agustin benito bethencourt
<abebe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Let me propose you some questions:
<snip>

3.- What is your perception, your picture?

My picture is that openSUSE needs a Long Term Service (more than the 3
years that we can afford with the EverGreen program). I'm talking
about 5 years. If we can penetrate in the server market like Ubuntu
LTS (sorry for the comparisons but are inevitables), openSUSE will be
a very used and strong distro.

I am wondering why you think a "Ubuntu LTS" model will hit the sweet spot? Whatever that sweet spot maybe, as we have not defined that.

I don't think that LTS has any advantages from a life cycle perspective. What Ubuntu LTS has going for it is that, it carries a lot of the mindshare, gathered through Mark's marketing machine, and it carries the option of buying support.

Within this is a whole other discussion topic that can easily fill a thread onto it's own. Thus I am just going to let it rest here.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
Public Cloud Architect