Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016 picture
On 29.11.2013 09:24, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
So release cycle is about balancing resources, if we want longer support, we
should probably release less often so we don't support so many things at once
and we save some effort we can put into maintenance. And if Factory gets more
stable I see no reason to releasing too often...

Balancing resources and balancing expectations. If you release only
every 5 years, it might be perfect for those that are interested to run
a server for 5 years unmodified but supported. But it also means people
installing new servers will turn away from openSUSE over time. In the
4th year people won't install it anymore as it's only supported one more
year.

The other variable is developer interest. Like it or not, but developers
like to develop, not maintain. So you need to keep the release
interesting for the developers.

And one final thing is reliability. People want us to be reliable. They
need to know what we'll do in the future at the time they decide if or
not to skip a release.

Greetings, Stephan