Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 14:19:04 +0000
On 28 November 2013 13:57, Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 28/11/13 14:01, Michal Hrusecky wrote:
how is red hat living?

Good. And SUSE is living good as well. These companies don't depend on
what
kids think nowadays that is cool, but on what people need to get work
done ;-)

good news. but is this more than server market? is desktop still
important enough as linux client?
My personal opinion - companies don't care about Linux desktop, money are in
server, cloud... But where SUSE/RedHat is going is not necessarily the same
direction as openSUSE, but we can share part of the way ;-)

Agreed. But there is a big and growing gap of missed opportunity
between what openSUSE does and the way SLES is positioned and is used.
Things that would make openSUSE more relevant to users and a more
attractive investment target for SUSE.

I agree here with almost all your suggestions, with one caveat. Do not
try and position openSUSE as a demo platform for ISVs. Don't get me
wrong, I strongly believe we need to get more of the open source based
ISVs to support openSUSE, but we should not switch the focus of the
distro to support that goal. Having openSUSE as the premier platform
for software development should be the goal.

* A way to make the Cloud hype-bandwagon useful to openSUSE. This might
just be a low-hanging fruit YaST module to setup an OwnCloud server, a
medium effort sponsoring a KDE dev and a GNOME dev for a few months to
add cloudy storage for app settings and data to the desktops, or a full
on effort to make openSUSE on SUSE Cloud and SUSE Cloud on openSUSE
possible, visible and accessible.

* Huge gulf between the "DevOps" trend of setting up and maintaining
servers and productive systems and openSUSE using the YaST installer
and zypper. What if we used these to automate the boring dance of a new
installation, of backing up customised settings and installed
applications from an old install and putting them back in the right
place on the newly installed system? What about marrying YaST and
Vagrant to set up server VMs? That's an interesting task for many of
the openSUSE power user base.

A good example would be to have Spacewalk packaged and available for
openSUSE, it is after all the upstream project for SUSE Manager. SUSE
can get some useful feedback on core functions from the community, and
then further tailor the value add component on top.

* A reason for people to use little (and not so little) ARM boards
running openSUSE. Right now we have the ARM builds, but how many of us
have tried them on our Raspberry Pi? How do we make openSUSE more
attractive than Raspbian?

Part of the issue with this is that there are not enough people
contributing to the ARM port, I can count on one hand those that
contribute here. I would like to see openSUSE as the go to platform
for vendors when they release their SDKs rather than Ubuntu.

If you wonder why I mention these things, look at the official SUSE.com
press release about openSUSE 13.1. The things that matter to SUSE about
openSUSE are right there in the headline:

https://www.suse.com/company/press/2013/11/newest-opensuse-features-stability-cloud-and-arm-technologies.html

A very good point.

If we can find ways to make these things useful to the general openSUSE
user too, we can turn this gap into an advantage for the project and the
distro.

WIll

--
Will Stephenson
SUSE LINUX GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB

Andrew Wafaa
IRC: FunkyPenguin
GPG: 0x3A36312F