Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
  • From: Efstathios Iosifidis <iefstathios@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 16:09:01 +0200
2013/11/28 Michal Hrusecky <mhrusecky@xxxxxxx>:
jdd - 13:49 28.11.13 wrote:
Le 28/11/2013 13:41, Michal Hrusecky a écrit :
jdd - 13:27 28.11.13 wrote:

how is red hat living?

Good. And SUSE is living good as well. These companies don't depend on what
kids think nowadays that is cool, but on what people need to get work done
;-)

good news. but is this more than server market? is desktop still
important enough as linux client?

My personal opinion - companies don't care about Linux desktop, money are in
server, cloud... But where SUSE/RedHat is going is not necessarily the same
direction as openSUSE, but we can share part of the way ;-)

Didn't follow the whole thread.
Michal don't say that companies don't care about Linux Desktop. The
reason that don't care is because there's not enough market (end
users) to invest. MS on the other side (and a huge factory around MS),
invest on users.

What I mean is if we want to companies to care about Linux desktop AND
attract more contributors, we MUST increase the base customers (end
users). So developers will contribute-build packages for Linux (and
openSUSE), there will be a gap on the market for Linux companies to
invest.

For me a good example is Ubuntu. They made a base with lot of users
(when the server, cloud services were out of their focus). They
attracted developers-companies (Valve tested everything on Ubuntu)
because they had market where to sell their products.
After they made their brand, they changed the GUI and many "fanboys" followed.
Now they increase on servers, cloud, tablet PCs, phones etc.

Since openSUSE is community "product" it's almost the same thing. I
mean we should MAKE more users. So some of them stay end users, some
become developers. Also many developers will join to create their
"programs" for our distro. And everyone is happy!!!

this is not only to speak. it's to define our market we now target
power users, but in this are geeckos, if geeks go away...

not sure all this tablet stuff is a real permanent thing, but I have
to say I was pretty interested last saturday seeing a tablet running
kde!!

what is fun? what is fun enough to attract new geeks and how can we
have this in openSUSE?

jdd

--
Michal HRUSECKY SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.
openSUSE Team Lihovarska 1060/12

http://about.me/iosifidis
http://eiosifidis.blogspot.gr http://blogs.gnome.org/eiosifidis
http://www.gnome.gr http://www.opensuse.gr

Great leaders don't tell you what to do...They show you how it's done.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts...absolutely.