Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
Hi,

I am open to hear ideas to handle the process if become bigger. It
would
be
ideal if it become our process.

Not sure I follow. Are you saying you would prefer that the community
agree on _your_ proposed process?

I was referring to the communication/discussion process in this sentence.

I think the process of discussion and communication has already been
adopted.

I just want to make sure I do not loose anything and that we have good reports
for the future to look at.

Second try...

If someone is interested in helping to drive the discussion or have ideas
like the one you proposed....please shoot.

For many of you the following information is known, but still...in
order
clarify the scope of my words....

The following days you will read comments from me making references to
the
openSUSE Team from my position as Team Lead. You all are aware that
sometimes being employees working in a Free Software project is not
like
contributing as volunteers or being sponsored. But SUSE is a Linux
based
company with a very open/participative culture. This is not the
military.
There is room for disagreement.... also in these discussions. ;-)

I disagree, I am employed to work almost entirely within open source,
it is what you make of it. The tone of your emails do not come across
as participative, you come across all dictatorial - You have decided
this is what you want and you are telling us to fall in line. That may
not be what you intend, but that is certainly how it comes across to
me - sorry for being honest.

I appreciate honesty.

I do not think that sharing ideas, being open to discuss them and willing
to come to conclusions is being dictatorial. Being clear not just about
the content but also about the motivations is one way toward
transparency. Obviously not the only one.

Oh I agree entirely. The problem is you do not come across as wanting
to share ideas and discuss their pros/cons. All your communication to
date has been very much in the style of "I've got this idea, here take
it!" No one wants anything shoved down their throat, we're not geese.

I hope my actions prove that is just perception.

I understand your words as a negative to participate in this process. If
that is the case, let me invite you to reconsider it. Anyhow, I am sure
you respect that others participate and that I keep trying to collect as
much
input/opinions as I can.

No you understand incorrectly.

Apologies then

I am participating in the discussion,

I see now. Thanks.

what I am doing here is trying to help you so you don't loose any
credibility. One of openSUSE's biggest consistent failings over the
last 12 years is communication. We either didn't communicate, or when
we did we weren't clear enough; quite often the message that came out
was not the intended one due to processes etc getting in the way.

SUSE in openSUSE is way more than the openSUSE Team, as many of you
know.
Sysadmin team, OBS crew, maintenance/security..., I do not speak on
behalf of them. My responsibilities are limited to the openSUSE Team.

But.......we (oS Team) will do our best to bring the needed answers and
statements from the qualified people at SUSE if, for whatever reason,
they
cannot or do not want to participate directly in the debate. This task
will be part of the communication management mentioned earlier when
required.

Why would the openSUSE Team answer for the other teams?
OBS/Security/Legal/Maintanence/Release are already very active within
the community, so much so that their affiliation with SUSE is almost a
secondary thought.

My intention was to clarify who I am not. I am not surprised this
information is redundant for you. You have been around long enough. If it
is also for everybody else, I could have saved one paragraph. But if is
not.....
May I suggest in that case for future communication, less is more?
Just get to the point, remove the padding. If you have an idea, state
it and provide any rationale you have. These multi page emails, make
people switch off which is not what we want.

This is clearly something will not happen next time. Not always things happen
as you planned. This is one of those times. We will try to deal with the
complexity of the set up doing the best we can. I understand it will become
harder to keep focus. We will do something to reduce the impact.

Thanks for participating.