Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
"agustin" == agustin benito bethencourt <abebe@xxxxxxxx> writes:

agustin> SHARE YOUR OWN PICTURE

agustin> Let me propose you some questions:

agustin> 1.- What other variables we should put in place to create an
agustin> accurate picture of the current state of the project?

Don't spend too much time with numbers and statistics as they both are like a
bikini; the most important part is always hidden. Instead invest the time to
make the project more known.

agustin> 2.- What is the perception you think others have from the
agustin> project?

ubuntu and its derivatives are cool. But the issue is they do not think
opensuse as a project yet just another distro.

agustin> 3.- What is your perception, your picture?

My feeling is we as the whole opensuse community are talking the talk but not
willing to walk the talk. People want new packages, or updated packages, yet
not many are willing to help. As a community we have to find ways to convince
people not just complain but also place the hand under the stone.

The whole project is like a broken bucket of uncooked rice. There are too many
bits and pieces around but they are not consolidated.

* There are too many wiki pages with no clear sense of organization, leading
to the image of bad or lack of documentation. When pointed, "it's a wiki" is
the common answer. Well maybe a wiki is not what we need .

* openSUSE should position itself as a leader in the opensource community, but
it seems like we are just following Fedora. Of course one can argue the
point that in this case we learn a lot from Fedora's mistakes and benefit
from our follower position. I would like to see the other side of the story
more, ie Fedora following our direction/approach.

--
Life is endless possibilities