Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE 2016: taking a picture of openSUSE today
Hi,

On Wednesday 27 November 2013 09:16:20 Manuel Trujillo wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM, agustin benito bethencourt

<abebe@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Let me propose you some questions:

1.- What other variables we should put in place to create an accurate
picture of the current state of the project?

In the world of Linux distributions to dispose of such numbers is very
difficult, as you can only have approximations. But a good guide would
be the amount of isos downs, the amount of 13.1 distributions made
with suse live service, and also (to a lesser extent), the growth of
creation of new packages in the OBS service and the update to the
13.1.
(please, excuse me my bad english)

More of us are non native English speakers, so do not worry.

The graphs referred show the .iso downloaded. Does the graph needs to be
clearer? In which aspect?

I will try to provide what we have about OBS and Studio.

2.- What is the perception you think others have from the project?

As you know openSUSE has a solid reputation about a heavy distro, and
for "heavy" I'm thinking about to be a slow system. This is one. I'm
using Linux since 1993 and I know more or less the Linux community.
This perception is changing, but in a slowly way. By the way, openSUSE
has a very strong reputation about to be a solid and stable distro.

And in terms of the project as a whole?

3.- What is your perception, your picture?

My picture is that openSUSE needs a Long Term Service (more than the 3
years that we can afford with the EverGreen program). I'm talking
about 5 years. If we can penetrate in the server market like Ubuntu
LTS (sorry for the comparisons but are inevitables), openSUSE will be
a very used and strong distro.

So in your opinion, increasing the maintenance cycle would be enough to get a
perception of being a competitor of Ubuntu LTS? Where (in which
niches/areas/market) do you think we could compete?

Thank you for the great job done!

--
Agustin Benito Bethencourt
openSUSE Team Lead at SUSE